Thursday, October 8, 2009

Slice & Dice

Julia's class was scheduled to make applesauce today. A fun, first-grade activity until the volunteer helpers decided to let 6-year olds use real knives to cut apples. It went something like this.
Ring, Ring. Hello, Julia is here in the office with us. She has just cut her finger and we think she might need to be seen by a doctor. Since I was at work, and 1/2 hour away, I called Grandma & Grandpa to run over to school to rescue her until I could get there. I was able to make a trauma appointment at our doctor's office right away (while driving too fast on the highway). They determined she didn't need stitches...just some new fangled skin glue, tape over the glue, a gauze bandage over the tape, and a metal cage to keep it all snug and secure.

She was very brave until she saw the blood again at the dr's office but that soon passed...nothing a Happy Meal from McDonald's couldn't fix. She was sad to miss school--(and I was scheduled to help the teacher serve the sauce) so we decided to go back to school--just in time for some warm, freshly made (and just a wee bit bloody) applesauce.
She couldn't miss that after all that trouble!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, a metal cage....
This makes me think of how scary it was to work in child care. A kid scrapes his knee and you must fill out an accident report and wonder if his mom will tell you off.
Of course, I would never let a 6-yr-old use a knife, crimety!
Also, it's interesting how McDonald's is synonymous in my mind with sick days, at least when I think of when I was younger. I think whenever I'd leave early for a doctor's appointment, I'd expect to get some McDonald's too.
Anyway what a brave girl she is! Going back to the scene of the accident and everything...
Hey, we never got to make applesauce... :/

Ann said...

well--luckily I didn't have to tell anyone off once I brought her back with that giant thumb!! They all felt plenty bad all by themselves!! Good thing I'm not a total jerk--I could probably make a little money...haha! Little did we know...the secret parents' code...McDonald's = please don't cry...haha