Wednesday, July 18, 2012

theory

Teenagers are like toddlers.

That's my theory.

I'm sure someone else somewhere has realized this. And they probably wrote an award-winning, money-making book about it. But I just figured it out in my head. And I think it's they key to understanding the world.

Toddlers are on the brink of childhood. Teens are on the brink of adulthood. Toddlers get frustrated at their insufficient language skills. Can't make those darn parents understand what they need. They cry, throw tantrums, need quiet time alone. Teens get frustrated at their insufficient communication skills. Can't make those darn parents understand what they need. They cry, throw tantrums, need quiet time alone. Toddlers know it all...and want it all. Teens know it all...and want it all. Toddlers try to see what they can do...and what they can get away with. Teens try to see what they can do...and what they can get away with.

Kids in both stages are just trying to stretch their wings and grow...trying to see what the big, wide world is all about. Getting themselves ready for the next big stages in life...toddler to child...teen to adult.

See? I've got it!

I see history repeating itself. Albeit in different ways...and a much larger shoe size. But really, it's all the same. My babes made it from toddler to child fairly successfully (if I do say so myself). I'm just hoping I can remember the coping skills I used with my toddlers, apply my new-found theory, and navigate the upcoming teen adventure before me!
(p.s. That's my teen's Teen Vogue 'Cowboy Chic' fashion photo contest entry.
She's 13 going on 23. Her 8-year old sister took the photo.
Toddler...toddler...toddler...toddler...toddler...toddler...
thinking that is not really helping...toddler...toddler...toddler...)



2 comments:

mgr said...

My Friend Flicka? lol - props

Beachse said...

WOW