Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I don't write eloquently enough to express the impact of seeing painstakingly preserved sites like Gettysburg and Antietam. I'll never forget the sound of a booming canon demonstration as I looked over the corn field where the Battle of Antietam took place, nor the sight of thousands of fireflies dancing over the Rose Wheatfield after dark, each paying a silent, sparkling homage to the 4,000 men who perished there in the battle at Gettysburg.  The courage and fortitude the citizens showed so long ago is humbling, and I appreciate the sacrifices they endured more now than I ever did before. 

Plus, Pennsylvania loves their ice cream shops and we had the best ice cream ever! 
What a wonderful trip!

Day One:
Visit to the Cyclorama, museum, bus tour, a hike and visit to the National Cemetery
  Day Two: Lovely drive to Maryland to tour/hike Antietum, dinner at Gettysburg's Farnsworth House (built in 1815 & riddled with bullet holes), back to Rose Wheatfield to watch the sun set & check for ghosts after dark.
 Go if you can--it's amazing!

4 comments:

kroughto said...

Pretty eloquent.

Anonymous said...

yep--well said.

so glad you were able to do the trip.

Beachse said...

Definitely on our "to do" list. Sounds like and happy to hear that you had a great trip.

Sandi said...

I love it! I hope to go some day :)