Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Are you smarter than a 6th grader?

We are all stuck on one of Emma's math homework problems...you give it a go...if you dare...

#33. An 8th grade math test included this rather tough challenge. Can you solve it?

If 5 x 3 = 4
2 x 8 = 2
and 6 x 3 = 3,
find the value
of 1 x 7

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!
I told her to write: "I'll let you know when I'm in 8th grade."

8 comments:

sroughto said...

I'm guessing 4.

It might have something to do with a grid numbered diagonally, but I haven't figured out the formula to compute the grid numbers yet.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A
1 A 9 8 7 6 5 - 3 2 1
2 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
3 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
4 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
5 6 5 4 3 2 1
6 5 4 3 2 1
7 4 3 2 1
8 3 2 1
9 2 1
A 1

Here the left column is the left operand, the top row is the right operand. Numbers we know are blue (links) and the dash is the number we're trying to guess (1x7). A's mean "10." The rest is pure speculation.

sroughto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sroughto said...

Here's a better pic of the grid.

Ann said...

no wonder we couldn't figure it out!

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sroughto said...

Do you know the answer yet?

Ann said...

4 is so right!
They all add up to 12 (5+3+4=12, 2+8+2=12 etc.) so 1+7+4=12.
I knew it all along. Not. haha
The teacher went through it with them in class today cuz no one got it...

sroughto said...

wooo!! I was thinking 11 for some reason but that only worked in column 1, so yeah, 12, cool.