Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Math Sucks

Sorry. It had to be said. This was an addition problem on Emma's math homework last night.
I actually figured this one out all by myself. Believe it or not!!! Go for it!
(you're supposed to be able to add YOU + YOU + YOU to get the answer U U U)

Y O U
Y O U
Y O U
-------
U U U

Y, O & U are three different numbers. What is the number Y O U?

Mwaaaaahahahaaaa!!!!

7 comments:

sroughto said...

185

Ann said...

too easy.
You must think math doesn't suck.
: )

sroughto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sroughto said...

Sometimes math sucks. Her teacher is giving out interesting challenges, and they are lucky to have someone like that.

In this case the only thing that matters is U, so to speak. There's probably some elegant way to solve this but I just brute forced it... 1+1+1=3x1=3 so U can't be 1... 3x2=6, 3x3=9, 3x4=12, 3x5=15 aha... U must be 5. Then YOU = 555/3 = 185.

sroughto said...

Yeah here's a way to derive U algebraically...

(U + U + U) - 10 = U
3U - 10 = U
3U - 10 + 10 = U + 10
3U = U + 10
3U - U = U + 10 - U
2U = 10
U = 5

Sarah Mae said...

I agree. Math does suck. I look at that problem and don't even wanna know!

Ann said...

Steve that's what I did too (brute force-not algebraic)--just went through the numbers and thought I had to be able to carry a one to make it work out and voila! But I didn't know that U divided by 3 was 185--that would have been valuable knowledge to me.

Sarah-I felt like that problem was sticking its tongue out at me and I had to sit there until I figured it out. Sucky little problem.