Sunday, May 6, 2012

Calypso Cascades

One of my favorite childhood memories is my dad taking me...and only me...fishing at Calypso Cascades.  With six kids in the family, I'm not sure how I scored a solo invitation to that fun father-daughter outing...and I'm sure that snagging my fishing hook on just about every tree there made him regret his decision, but I had a wonderful time.

When I woke up this morning, I had a hankering for hiking so my first thought was...Calypso Cascades.  I googled it to find out where it might be located...because back when I was twelve, I only remember being there...not actually getting there.  So we took our directions, geared up, and headed out.  Here's where we ended up:
Nice, right?  Nice, but unfortunately, not Calypso Cascades.  This is actually Boulder Falls.  Apparently, I should have printed a little more detailed directions before attempting to find the old Cascades. We drove and drove and drove and finally gave up & stopped there. But...whatever.  It was a lovely drive up Boulder Canyon & watching rock climbers and taking the short hike to eat granola bars by the falls satisfied my mountain-yearning.  But excuse me, now I must go google Calypso Cascades...again!!!






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos. I love the leopard (?) twins.

Suzette said...

Wow how totally fun!

sroughto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sroughto said...

It might be a little snowy but the road to to Wild Basin trailhead might be closed (adding a mile to the hike). Could always call RMNP and find out.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/trail_conditions.htm

Ann said...

yah-I noticed that in my second research attempt...maybe a good thing we didn't get there. And Boulder Canyon was closed today because of a rock slide at Boulder Falls!! What timing!