Friday, March 14, 2008

Cookie Monster...Seriously?

Emma just told me a horrible rumor she heard at school. Baxter was telling the class that Cookie Monster no longer snarfs cookies wildly but instead eats veggies and has green fur. "No way," I replied and ran off to Google Cookie Monster. Sure enough, he is getting the PC change to healthy snacks but not to the extreme length that Baxter said. He'll still be blue & eat cookies but now cookies will be a 'sometimes' snack for him and he will eat other, healthy fare as well. They're even changing the song. Sacrilege.

Did anyone really eat more cookies as a child just from watching Cookie Monster do it? Did anyone besides me notice and wonder why Cookie's mouth and throat were just black and none of the cookies actually went inside--they just crumbled all over the place? Did anyone besides me know that monsters have different rules than humans and that if a monster wants to go nuts on cookies, you let him?

Then again, I also watched Wiley Coyote try to blow up the Roadrunner with ACME dynamite several hundred times, and never once did I think I'd try it. Never thought of dropping an anvil on anyone's head either, Bugs. As a mom, I've never given in to an arguement because my child says "Well, Cookie Monster does it."

And as long as we're fixing things so kids don't learn bad habits, let's remember that Cookie Monster starts all his sentences with "Me want..." and has since the beginning of time, and I (and most of my peers) managed to overcome that without too much trauma.

Maybe kids today are just that different.
Maybe their parents are too.

Maybe it's just me.

Or maybe not--I just found an online petition to boycott Sesame Street until they change poor Cookie back. That's a little extreme for me--I just vote for less Sesame Street tv time and more walks, parks & swing set time.
That should do the trick.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Bronco/petition.html

No comments: