Thursday, March 6, 2008

Plan of Attack

Er, I mean, plan of construction. 'The guys' from our builder and the construction company all came over this morning to have a pre-construction meeting for the foundation repairs to our house. They are so funny--they all wait parked outside until exactly appointment time and then all descend together. Better than ringing the doorbell 6 different times, I guess.

There were 2 guys from DR Horton. The ladies man, Brian, who we all love and the male chauvinist hard-nose, Les, who, well, he's not our favorite. The three from the construction company were all very pleasant and had a detailed timeline. The main construction guy was very nice and introduced his team as the foreman, the coordinator and himself (who mainly oversees everything in the office)...he said they're also known as 'Daily, Weekly and Monthly,'in that order, as far as who we'd see or who to contact.

They are starting on March 17 (c'mon Saint Patrick!). That's when they will come and make our side basement window into a door, install a lock on the door to our basement stairs and move the side fence back towards the back yard. They will also be dropping off a port-a-potty to park on our front sidewalk (so attractive) and maybe a dumpster. Day one will mainly be a preparation day.

Then after day one, the fun begins--(nice timing with Bob leaving for spring break--should be extra exciting for me)--they will start drilling holes in the foundation, and demolitioning the concrete sidewalk leading up to our front door. The actual pier work will take about 1 1/2 weeks depending on the weather.

The floor in the garage is still in question. Of course, Les (boo) says 'no' but Brian (hooray) says 'let's go above and beyond' and is trying to have that done too. I showed them how one slab has moved up 3 inches and is bending the metal guide rail of our garage door to which Brian said 'holy mackeral, I don't think I saw that before!' to which I replied, "yes you did, and you said 'holy mackeral!'" But all of that will be done 90days after construction with all the other 'cosmetic' repairs the builder will do (repairing drywall/brick cracks, stuck doors etc.).

(this rail should be going straight up and down--the floor did that)


All in all, they said the job should take 6+ weeks depending on the March weather...we won't tell them March is the snowiest month around these parts. I can't remember what the groundhog said in February, but we're hoping for good weather--and early spring.
Oh, and maybe a nice new set of earplugs.

No comments: